Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Why does my male cat bite his back nails? And why does he throw up every once awhile after eating?

My male cat, Damien, bites his back claws just like a human bites their nails. He's starting to teach this bad habit to his sister. Why does he do it? And he throws up after eating every once and awhile like he ate too fast or something. I feed him Dad's Complete. Is it the food or is he just being a pig and eating too fast??Why does my male cat bite his back nails? And why does he throw up every once awhile after eating?
As to the first part, it's very common for cats to bite their back claws, they are actually grooming themselves. They are just cleaning their nails. I've never seen a cat who didn't do it. So, don't think that one cat is teaching the other a bad habit, it's nature.





As to the second part, yes, your cat is being a little piglet. Basically he is stuffing himself too quickly for his little stomach, like so many cats, his eyes are bigger than his stomach, and he just gobbles up whatever is there and it just doesn't stay down. We tried giving out male cat who did that a lot less food at one sitting and made him wait for a little more and than a little more. It did seem to help with the puking a bit.Why does my male cat bite his back nails? And why does he throw up every once awhile after eating?
Well, u know human babys throw up after eating sometimes too. =)

Report Abuse



Is your cat a long haired cat,Mine does the samething and the vet says its normal,I give her hair ball treatments,But


frankly I don't think that stuff helps.Anyway mine does it


after she cleans herself,not uaually right away but in the next day she usually gets it up (the hairball),After she sheds


she usually don't have it as bad,hardly none.
The biting the back claws I wouldn't worry about it's just their way of cleaning them and getting the outside layer off, has he got a scratching pad? That could prevent that since it serves the same purpose.
I'm not sure about the nail biting but I believe I have an answer to the throwing up problem.





I looked up Dad's cat food and I saw on the picture that the cat food is dry cat food that has ';artificial coloring';. That might be the reason why he throws up. My cat used to throw up but we started getting her cat food with no artificial coloring and she got better.





Also one other reason that he might be throwing up is that he has been eating grass. Cats like to nibble on grass(at least mine does) and it cleans out their stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment