Saturday, August 21, 2010

What is the best way to trim baby's nails?

what should i do or use?What is the best way to trim baby's nails?
You need to clip them pretty early on, to prevent them from scratching their face with the nails (you can also try and keep scatch mitts on, but that can be a challenge!)





I am not comfortable usign clippers, even when baby is sleeping, because she still manages to wiggle enough that I am worried about cutting her. They actually sell special baby clippers with a kind of magnifying glass attatchment, but I didn't find that to help. instead, I use a very fine grade nail file to file her nails down. This doesn't seem to hurt her at all even if I get her skin sometimes. And yes, I do sometimes bit the corners that are hard to get, though I agree this can lead to hangnails if you aren't careful (which also don't seem to bother her when it happens) The nail file works great, though, you shoudl try it. Be sure to support each finger firmly when workign on it so the finger doesn't bend from the pressure of the file.What is the best way to trim baby's nails?
You can trim them as soon as you notice that their nails are to long.


It's best to wait until they are napping because that's when the baby is the most still. But in my case, my daughter wakes up immediately when someone touches her so that doesn't work for me. And because she's so wiggly now it's actually a 2 person job to trim her nails now lol. My boyfriend has to hold her hand steady while I trim the nails.
You can trim a baby's nails any time you think they're getting too long. I always clip my daughter's nails when she's napping, or at least when she's very mellow. Even then, I don't try to clip all her nails at once. I go for the ones that look longest/most dangerous first, and if she lets me, I clip the rest or as many as I can get. Good luck!
baby nail cutters are nice, but using your teeth works wonders . use tongue to measure and bite when they're napping. sounds strange, but works wonders and less dangerous then the cutters! trim them when they need them so they don't cut themselves. No age limit.
I use cuticle scissors, and babies are born with really long nails, so its best to do it when they are asleep and from day one, dont forget to pack them in your diaper bag when you go to the hospital!!!!
I always trim my daughter's when they get long enough..


and i know this sounds nasty, but i use my teeth. Just because it's easier to know if your about to cut it to short.
When I need to trim my babies nails when he was younger until about 5 months old I would file them down because he would never hold still long enough. Now he is 8 months old and I use baby nail clippers and they work great.
I find it easiest to do during nap time.


Just pick up a baby manicure kit, and use the clippers they have in there. Just be extra careful not to nip the skin!
I always used baby nail clippers but my mother in law would always say the best way is for you to bite them off.
Bite it off... the best way you do it...its gross but safe for the baby.. and babies safety comes first!
I cut my baby's nails when she is asleep.
nail scissors with rounded ends or bite them off

No comments:

Post a Comment