Saturday, July 31, 2010

How can I cut my cat's nails without getting scratched to pieces?

i use human nail clippers on my cats, i find the pet ones hurt them becuase they have two blades that go opposite ways and at the cut point bend the nail!! ouchy!! with human nail clippers, if you imagine the cats paw the same way you hold out your hand, i use them at the opposite angle to the way we cut ours so the blades go along the smooth side of the claw.


it doesnt hurt them unless you cut them too far, just trim the very edges regularly them you wont have to take alot off at once and risk them bleeding :( my cats go outside and climb trees and still have sharp claws, and im sure they laugh at me when i show them a scratching post. its not as nice as carpet!! ;)


it might be un natural clipping thier claws but so is keeping them in a house and feeding them ready made food so we'r all guilty!How can I cut my cat's nails without getting scratched to pieces?
I just took my cat to the vet to have one of the techs do it for me just once and show me how. My cat is very aggressive, and much more so when I try to trim his nails! Squeeze the paw pad so the claws will come out and cut them right where they curve, with a clipper made for cutting pet nails (not a toenail clipper). The vet tech told me that I need to have someone help me by scruffing him (holding him by the loose skin on the back of the neck) to keep his head from twisting around and biting me. I used to hold him in my lap to do it and just live with the bites, but I read that you shouldn't have the cat in your lap because it'll associate your lap with bad things and not want to sit in your lap anymore. If you find a fool-proof way, please let me know!!How can I cut my cat's nails without getting scratched to pieces?
It actually isn't that hard to do. Get the cat used to you touching its feet. I generally do it when my cat is sleepy. Learn to gently press its paw pads to extend each claw, one at a time. Be slow, be gentle, and praise the cat for remaining calm. Give it a treat if you'd like. Eventually you can trim the nails. Make sure you're in good light, and examine the claw -- you should be able to see where the quick (a blood vessel) is. You must be careful to avoid that, because it can bleed a lot if you snip it. If you're not comfortable trimming its nails yet, just trim the very, very ends-- it'll sharpen up again soon, but it will help you and the cat both gain confidence in the procedure.





You can buy some styptic powder at the petstore to stop the bleeding should you accidentally cut the quick. And if the cat gets too annoyed, just stop. Don't force it past its patience. Do as many as you can before the cat tells you to quit, and then you can pick up where you left off later.





Be patient, and you'll be fine!
First feed her well it will slow down her reaction speed. Then gently tie her paws together and cut her nails. Talk to your cat to keep it calm.


Don't cut them too much its bad for them and never file their nails the do it themselves outdoors. Hope this is helpful, Goodluck.
Katrina is right, if it's an 'indoor' cat then you should get it a scratching post. but if they really need doing take it to your vets, they will either do it or send you to someone who can do it properly, a lot of things can go wrong if they're clipped wrong.
Wait until they are asleep. Play around with their paws for a few days while they are sleeping to get them use to being messed with. I can only do a paw at a time before my kitty is on to me.
dont cut your cat's nails! He should be wearing them down naturally whilst outside- climbing trees and scratching on wood etc, if hes house kept then get him scratching posts but dont cut them! Its so unnatural

No comments:

Post a Comment